Network administration involves a wide array of operational tasks that help a network to run smoothly and efficiently. Without network administration, it would be difficult for all but the smallest networks to maintain network operations.
The main tasks associated with network administration include:
- Design, installation and evaluation of the network
- Execution and administration of regular backups
- Creation of precise technical documentation, such as network diagrams, network cabling documents, etc.
- Provision for precise authentication to access network resources
- Provision for troubleshooting assistance
- Administration of network security, including intrusion detection